ABOUT THE FANNIE LOU HAMER CANCER FOUNDATION
The Fannie Lou Hamer Cancer Foundation (FLHCF) is a 501(c)3 non-profit community based organization whose mission is to prevent and decrease the cancer burden in the Mississippi (MS) Delta Region. The organization was founded by Mrs. Freddie-White Johnson in 2004 to conduct cancer awareness activities for the citizens of the MS Delta. The FLHCF is committed to lowering cancer risk factors, burden of cancer, and prevention by: (1) increasing the awareness of cancer risk factors; (2) enhancing the quality of life of those affected by cancer; and (3) establishing a public agenda for prevention, detection, treatment, and cure of cancer in the MS Delta and other underserved populations in other regions of the state.
In August 2004, the FLHCF was incorporated and legally approved by the Secretary of State as a charitable organization. In March 2005, the FLHCF received its federal tax-exempt status. The Foundation honors the memory of Ruleville native, Fannie Lou Hamer, who died due to untreated breast cancer. Ms. Hamer “shook the foundation of this nation” with her courage, determination, and willingness to undergo great personal sacrifice as an authentic voice of those who were impoverished and disfranchised.
- Adoption of a cancer awareness / education curriculum and/or program for training personnel to present information to underserved populations;
- Coordination of services and cancer awareness activities and cancer prevention, detection and treatment services with other health and / or community partners;
- Establishment of a cancer resource center which focuses on underserved populations
- Influencing local, state and federal policymakers to increase public investment in quality healthcare and cancer care;
- Engagement in and support of cancer research designed to address cancer disparities among African Americans;
- Use of the media and other public relations outlets to promote the benefits of early detection and treatment; and
- Provision of critical financial assistance to those in need of cancer treatment and /or services.
Give $1 and Leave a Legacy!
We need 1,000,000 heroes to donate $1 to help us fight cancer and complete this project- The construction of the FannieLou Hamer Cancer Foundation’s headquarters.